Plantar fasciitis is a pathology that causes pain in the heels of one or both feet, and can become incapacitating us to perform our daily tasks depending on how acute the symptoms associated with it are. This disease consists of an inflammation of the plantar fascia, a thick layer that covers the area between the heel and the toes and whose main function is to protect the foot by cushioning each and every one of the impacts received during activities such as walking, jump or run Since medical treatments tend to be slow and complex, many women turn to home remedies for plantar fasciitis, which manage to alleviate the aches and pains it causes.
Home remedies for plantar fasciitis
It must be taken into account that plantar fasciitis is a difficult disease to identify and that, therefore, it can take months before we are aware of its presence. Once the first symptoms appear, we will have to resort to our family doctor with the aim of x-raying the feet and observing what damage has developed. Once this step has been taken, we can complement the medical treatment administered by the professional with home remedies such as the ones we propose below:
- Warm water and salt: In a container that is large enough to place both feet, pour two liters of warm water with three teaspoons of Epsom salt (you can get it at any pharmacy or store specializing in the sale of natural products). Do this process twice a day, letting your feet soak for fifteen minutes.
- Ginger: Boil water in a saucepan along with a teaspoon of grated ginger for five minutes. After this time, remove it from the heat and let it rest for ten minutes. Strain it and drink two cups a day. Ginger is considered a good analgesic remedy that helps relieve pain caused by plantar fasciitis.
- Muscle Stretches: Press your toes against the wall while keeping your heel on the ground. Repeat the process several times. This action can be very important, especially after having carried out any activity that has started the diseased foot.
- Honey and apple cider vinegar: Add a teaspoon of honey and a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water. Take this mixture twice a day. Apple cider vinegar has anti-inflammatory properties that also help relieve foot pain symptoms.
- Apply ice to the affected area: This is one of the most effective home remedies to end pain from plantar fasciitis. If you don’t have cold compresses or ice packs at home, a very good alternative is to wrap crushed ice in a clean cloth and put it directly on the sole of your foot four times a day for a maximum period of about fifteen minutes, so that inflammation decreases and discomfort is reduced. It is very effective, especially the first 48 hours after the onset of symptoms.
Bottle trick: Another very good home remedy to complement the medical treatment of plantar fasciitis lies in performing massages with cylindrical figures such as cans or very cold bottles. This kind of stretching will allow us to massage, exercise and strengthen the entire arch of the foot, thus relieving all the pain caused by inflammation of the plantar fascia. To do this, we just have to place the selected object on the ground, place the damaged foot on it and make several passes while applying light pressure.
Massages: The discomfort caused by plantar fasciitis is much more intense in the morning, so it is advisable that you carry out stretching with a tape and some massages before getting up. For the massages, make small circular movements with the thumb starting from the heel and going up to the beginning of the toes. These massages should not last more than ten seconds and you can also do them after many hours of sitting or lying down.
Aluminum foil: This is a remedy that manages to soothe the pain of plantar fasciitis a lot, but it is not effective in everyone. There are people who have tried it and have obtained excellent results and others who have had to opt for other alternatives. It consists of wrapping the affected foot in aluminum foil and then putting on a sock. You should leave it overnight and repeat the process the next day.
Turmeric: The active agent in turmeric, curcumin, possesses pain-relieving properties that can decrease symptoms caused by tension and inflammation. In this case, it can be applied topically or you can also prepare a tea by mixing it in water with a little honey.